Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Sign up for one trip, depart for another!

Just a quick note on planning, tomorrow at noon I sign up for my Advanced Open Water SCUBA course and SS Yongala liveaboard dive trip. I get two days, two nights on a boat to dive the mid-GBR (Davies Reef, Wheeler Reef) on Saturday and the SS Yongala on Sunday. Depending on who I pay and go with, I can do 6 dives (2 Yongala wreck) for $600 - $700 or 7 dives (3 Yongala wreck) for $850 - $950. Either way, I sign up for September 12th - 14th as my dive trip. I'll be trying for the first, cheaper option.

Also, after signing up on Thursday, I ride out to pick up another car from the airport (just like I did for last weekend, blog post coming on that trip!) in preparation of a trip to Fraser Island with four other girls (that'll suck). We'll leave after returning to campus and packing the vehicle up, then it's a 14 hour drive to Hervey Bay and a short ferry ride over to this island of sand (the world's largest, and a World Heritage Site). A 75 mile beach is really the only place to drive - the fun point of renting a 4WD for the island, which is also planned. The only hard surface, it doubles as a runway for small visiting planes. There are also many clear, low nutrient inland lakes on the island - although I'm unsure if there are any fish there. I'll bring my camera housing anyhow. Also, it is advised to not swim off of the island due to high occurrence of rip tides and high tiger shark population densities. (Sweet...) This trip will also be one weekend only and will cost a maximum of $400. On the way down we pass Brisbane - Queensland's capital - and Bundaberg, home of the country's rum company, Bundaberg Rum.

Still to plan: Whitsundays sailing, Mission Beach skydiving, Longer liveaboard trip to Cod Hole & Ribbon Reefs, & major trip outside the country... (possible trips to Uluru [Ayers Rock], Darwin or Kakadu, Melbourne & Sydney, WA Perth, Tasmania).

No comments: